Tuesday, July 10, 2007

week 5, thing 10 ~ online image generators

View full

This is a sketch of a picture I took at Longwood Gardens back in the spring, courtesy of Dumpr. In addition to the photos that this site converts to sketches for free, you can also pay to have other photos turned into sketches and it looks like they have much more detail. I tried to explore Letter James, but it wouldn't accept me because I'm from the United States :-( I had the most fun with the Avatars! I made a Yahoo Avatar but our computers wouldn't let me complete a Meez without downloading Java. It looked like the Meezes were pretty neat - maybe even a little better than the Yahoo Avatars. I may have to create one at home...a girl can never have too many virtual personalities, right?

Even though these tasks were so much fun, their importance was not lost on me. As librarians, we are expected to be more and more tech savvy with every passing year. Familiarizing ourselves with the technologies in the 23 Things program not only boosts our confidence, but it further dispels all of those outdated librarian stereotypes. In addition, it helps us relate to younger generations - I mean, what kid/teenager wouldn't have instant respect for a librarian that not only knows what a Meez is, but also has one posted on her/his blog?

No comments: