Tuesday, July 3, 2007

week 4, thing 8 ~ rss feeds


In a former life I was addicted to reading other people's blogs. Now I find that I just don't have the time. A few months ago I customized my Google homepage and subscribed to my favorite blogs thinking that I'd be able to catch up on them since they would all be listed there, but no such luck. I rarely use any of the features I added to my iGoogle page so I'm not sure I'm going to be using Bloglines after today. We'll see, but I'm not too hopeful.

Setting up the Bloglines account was easy, subscribing to the feeds was easy, but sharing my blogroll on my blog was definitely not easy. Bloglines is not the most intuitive service. For example, it requires you to sign up using your email address and never asks you to register a username. However, in order to share your blogroll you need to type in your username. It took three librarians and I don't even know how much time to figure out how to obtain a username on Bloglines (go to Account, then Blog Settings, and be sure to mark the circle next to "Yes, publish my Blogroll"). From there it was easy sailing again for me. Back on Blogger I added a new page element, selected HTML/JavaScript, and pasted in the HTML from Bloglines. Now my blogroll is sitting pretty on the right side of my blog.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

You may not have time for catching up on your RSS feeds but can you see that it might be a good service for the library to provide for our customers? If we could provide RSS feeds from our catalog we could notify our customer's when their favorite author has written a new book or when a new title has been added to their favorite topic, and then they might either place a hold or simply come into the library. In either case, we would have successfully reached out to our customer and interested them into coming into the library. That's what its all about - reaching our customers and getting more people to come into the library more often.