Monday, July 9, 2007

week 4, thing 9 ~ merlin

let me preface this post by saying that I am having way too much fun. With Flickr and RSS feeds and Avatars, oh my!

I believe that Merlin has possibilities. At the moment I think it needs to be a little more descriptive on the homepage so that all of its different offerings are clearly outlined. It took me a while to click around and really get a feel for what the site has to offer. I found some interesting library blogs like Information Should Be Free where I thoroughly enjoyed Meredith's post about the recent NY Times article titled "A Hipper Crowd of Shushers" so I subscribed to her blog.

In addition, Merlin's brief blurbs on "Gaming, Avatars, Virtual Worlds" and the links to longer articles elsewhere were helpful since those are definitely technologies that I have not explored yet. I had a customer ask for books on geocaching a few weeks ago and I made a mental note to go back and read about it. Now I know what it is!

I also explored the different feed searchers, which are good to know about but I probably won't be using them again anytime soon. My current blog-finding strategy is to go to a blog I enjoy and then click through that person's list of favorite blogs. I have spent/wasted hours of my life doing this. I'm not proud.

2 comments:

JimD said...

I'm glad you're enjoying this. You sure are zipping along through the 'things'. I know what you mean about RSS and blogs. It can become a huge time gobbler. We may be Rss-ing out some BCPL information to customers before the year is out. It's great that so many staff members are going through the program so we can explain the basics of RSS to them and will have a little experience. We need to put ourselves out where the customers can find us!

Lisa said...

Katie! you're the best! Thanks for all your help with my flickr photo fun!