Tuesday, September 25, 2007

week 9, thing 22 ~ Overdrive, Project Gutenburg, and downloadable audiobooks

I've explained how to download audio books to customers but I had never downloaded one on my own. I went into Overdrive and found it easy to navigate and understand. You can search for a specific title or browse fiction or nonfiction by subject. I downloaded an ebook but I'm going to return it because I don't actually like reading ebooks, I just wanted to go the whole way through the process. I was surprised to note OverDrive will allow you to burn most of its audio books to to CDs. The ability to listen to an excerpt is also a nice feature.

One thing I've always wondered about these audio books though is why there aren't unlimited virtual copies of them. In other words, why is it necessary to place holds on some titles? Since they're not physical copies, shouldn't there be an unlimited supply?

No comments: