Wednesday, September 19, 2007

week 8, thing 19 ~ Web 2.0 Awards


I could spend hours exploring all of the winners of the Web 2.0 Awards.

I first clicked on Lulu, which I had never heard of before. It seems like a fantastic site where you can self-publish your work and put it up for sale. There is a lot more to the service than that, like a whole Lulu community who keep in touch via Lulu's blog, newsletter and through various Lulu groups. The site helps self-publishers acquire an ISBN for their work "so you can make your masterpiece available in retail stores, libraries and schools around the world - online and off." In addition, Lulu offers "live help" that includes assistance with press release writing, creating web banners, self-promo kits and optimization services. There is also an entire section dedicated to helping users "Catch the eye of librarians all over the U.S." (i.e. a how-to on acquiring a Pre-Assigned Control number). I wonder if BCPL has any self-published masterpieces made possible by this service?

Lulu is definitely a website I will revisit, and I might even take advantage of their wedding photo books. (My first anniversary is almost here and I haven't done anything with my wedding pictures yet.)

I explored a few other sites but there weren't any that I was interested in as much as Lulu....except in the retail category where I found that my favorite t-shirt website, Threadless, won 1st place and another website I love, Etsy, won 2nd place. Yay!

No comments: